Monday, April 1, 2019

Paper Sizes and their Uses

When I am working at home on a normal comic for an anthology, I guess I should say that the 10" x 15" format on 11" x 17" paper is my standard. But that would be a lie. Unless I really need a full-page layout for some reason, I am more likely to draw the 10" x 7.5" half-page for a number of reasons. It's easier to scan, easier to take with me and work on the road (in a cafe, for example) and easier to store. But right now I am working on a graphic novella called Una Ricerca di Pizza about searching for the origins of New Haven pizza... and I'm doing it on 6" x 9" paper... and it's going pretty well if I say so. It looks pretty good.

Also, there are plenty of quick sketch paper sizes not listed here. I discovered I could make a sketchbook in an old checkbook, for example, and blank business cards are an interesting medium. Although the absolute king of drawing stuff on business cards is the Gaping Void guy.

No comments: